Grim Hex (derived from Green Imperial Housing Exchange) is a facility built into a large rock in the ring system around Yela, a moon of Crusader.
- 1 A Map of Grim Hex
- 2 From Hab Unit to Fleet Management Consoles
- 3 Hab Postcard
- 4 Hab Art
- 5 The Zero-G Exits
- 6 Related Posts
A Map of Grim Hex
From Hab Unit to Fleet Management Consoles
- Once the location has loaded, you’ll be in bed looking up at the ceiling.
- Press Y to get out of bed.
- Press W to approach the door.
- Rotate the mouse wheel to change walking speed. Press
- F to enable interaction with the door and click the left mouse button to initiate interaction and select Open
- From outside the sleeping quarters find a staircase and descend to the next level.
- Go down a few more steps to find two elevators facing each near an entrance to a bar.
- Summon a lift
- When the doors open, make sure you are not walking into an open shaft. If so, summon the other lift which should be OK.
- In the elevator select the Landing Pads level.
- Outside the lift door, you will find a row of ship retrieval consoles.
Occasionally you will wake in a hab unit that has a postcard pinned to the wall (left). The picture looks too sophisticated to be made just for that purpose, it was much more likely to have been utilised from existing artwork. It turns out to be the concept artwork on the right: Goss II Cassel Approach (2013, artist unknown) .
I found one or two empty habs at Grim Hex with a proliferation of beautiful litter in them. The models, textures and graphics that make up this artwork are top-notch and it’s definitely worth finding it yourself. Ironically, the rubbish here costs tens of thousands of pounds to create!
Note: When I got out of bed I discovered there was a dude still in there (let’s hope it’s some kind of a bug – shudder).
The owner seems to be trying to dream up an advert for noodles and he’s using the tag line ‘Brainless – Use Your Noodle’. These are really nice sketches and stencilled test sprays although the spraying was done on a wall from the bed. It’s easy to overlook how well the hab units are designed.
The Zero-G Bay
You can get to the zero-g area internally by going to the lower floor then out through the store or bar as shown in the map. You can then fly down the height of the bay to the external entrance and make your way back up the asteroid wall to the landing pads and back into Grim Hex.
Video of External Entrance from a Ship
Here is a video of the ship retreating from the entrance then moving up the face of the asteroid to bring the Grim Hex landing pads into view.
External Approach on Foot
To locate the zero-g area externally, approach Grim Hex to land looking at the main buildings. The entrance is on your left and downward, hidden from view around the side of the asteroid.
The doors to the bay area are open and you can use your suit thrusters to fly straight in through one of the doors. From there you can then fly up to the top floor and find a pressure lock leading out to the lower floor of Grim Hex (the concourse) via a bar or store depending on which fork you take.
Get out and jump off the landing pads on your left then navigate down the side of the rock face using your suit thrusters.
The Zero-G Exit at the Consoles Level
On the upper-level where the ship retrieval consoles are located, go to the far end (as shown above). You will find an airlock leading into a damaged corridor that opens out into twisted metal and the void of space.