Welcome :0) There are a few things that can catch you out as soon as you begin so new players might want to check out the following at some point.
Check for Updates
Once you have installed the game, run the game launcher and sign in to Star Citizen. There are 3 ways to check you have the latest version. In order of least fuss, these are:
- Open the Patch Notes tab and check that you have the latest version number and build.
- Pause for 30 seconds on the game launcher and it will have enough time to check if an update is available for download
. Verifyyour installation from the launcher Settings tab. Click on the Verify button to initiate a manual check on the health of your code.
Reset the Game State
If you do an update, you are advised to delete the USER folder. It contains your personal settings and these may refer to things that have changed or no longer exist. Erasing this folder prevents you from getting unnecessary errors.
The USER folder can be found at one of these two locations:
- C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\Live\USER
- C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizenPTU\Live\USER
The second of these addresses
Launch the Game
The start screen gives you access to the modules you have bought: Universe, Star Marine and Arena Commander. Choose the Universe option.
Character Customisation allows you to design your avatar – you might be taken to it automatically, or else it will appear as a button at the lower right of the screen. After customisation, return to the Universe screen and continue.
- Select Spaceport > Stanton System
- In the Stanton System dialogue, choose Region > Best
- Click Visit Location.
If the game crashes during its loading sequence, change your page file system settings as described in ‘Prevent Potential Game Crashes’.
It’s useful to run the game in ‘Windowed Mode’, so you can easily detach from it using ALT+TAB.
Start Locations: a Visual Guide
Click on the appropriate image to find a map and guide to your ship.